We’ve used a pick up tank on the syncro, all well and good but the breather stub at the top of the tank is a different diameter to the van tank. The van tank has a stub size of 12mm however the pick up tank is 15mm.
It’s not something we stock so we had to make one, 12mm OD aluminium tube and some 15mm OD tube pressed into each other then the ends swaged. Tig welded together, etch primed then powder coated, all in house in about
30 mins. Well happy!
I could have just used the loom that came with the van but as some point in it’s previous life it has had a towbar fitted. I don’t know if you’ve ever seen what a mess the installers make when installing a towbar but it’s not pretty, It usually involves scotch locks (blergh) and copious amounts of tape.
Another thing I’ve never been happy with was how VW solved the problem of getting power to the number plate lamps, if you’ve not paid much attention it involves an excess of unprotected wire that’s badly routed and results in the wires dangling about when you open the rear flap.
So, I decided I would make my “dream” loom using fresh cable, new terminals, fresh PVC tubing and configure it how I like, next size up for the earths, dedicated earths for each consumer, reconfigured number plate lamp wiring, take offs for auxiliary reverse lamps and fog lamp cut out built into the metal towing socket.
Back at it!
After a couple of failed attempts by the company that were meant to me making the handbrake cables I’ve asked them to send me some cable inner and outer whilst I’ve asked my tame engineer to make me some cable components from stainless.
Hopefully I can then get the lengths right and just send them back for crimping up.